I have a strange love for all owls. Ever since I was a child, I always found them fascinating. Whether it is an animated movie or stuffed animals, I just love owls. There is something mysterious about them being nocturnal and all, those big, dark eyes and patient stature that scarcely move during the night, the wonderful colors and the strange sounds that they make, and the fact that they are regarded as very intelligent. Don’t you remember the owl from Winnie the Pooh? Well, I had so much time on my hands today that I decided to make a stuffed animal for Bozena, specifically an owl! I found this pattern online and improvised a bit to get it in the style and size that I wanted it to be.
This is what the owl from pattern is supposed to look like:
And this is what mine looks like:
What I did differently:
1. I used a darker shade of blue since I know babies love contrast.
2. I skipped making the wings and feet; they are probably going to fall off as soon as a baby starts grabbing things.
3. I layered the flower with different types of fabric to give it volume and depth. In addition, I added a little circle in the middle so it doesn’t look empty.
4. I sewed on the ears. For some reason my didn’t come out as pronounced as in the picture, so I just cut out my own triangles and sewed them on.
5. I added the tail to the back to make it a bit more fun and lively from the other side :).
6. And finally, because I hand stitched everything I think it made it look more organic and warm. Plus, the red thread is a great way to highlight the beautiful parts of the owl, like the eyes.
Have a great day!